Preparations for Coming to China


If I want to study in China, what should I do?

Studying in China is the same as studying in other countries in the world needs to understand the requirements and qualifications, and then begin to prepare the materials.

  • The basic materials for application:
  • Application form
  • Highest degree certification and transcript
  • Reference letter
  • Study plan


If any specific material is needed, please prepare and submit such document according to school’s requirements.


After completing your application procedure, you can go on applying for the scholarship. For more information, please read the “Scholarship Guide” column of this website.

If you have completed the aforesaid procedures, please be patient and wait for the result. If you want to know the result of a scholarship application, please contact the relevant department.


What do I need to do if I am already admitted to a Chinese college or university?

When you receive the admission notice, you should start preparing for the following aspects before coming to China:

  1. Go to the local Chinese embassy to apply for a study visa

Please make sure to apply for a study visa (X visa) for studying in China. The X1 visa is a long-term convertible visa and must be converted into a residence permit within 30 days after entering China. The X2 visa is a short-term non-convertible visa. A holder of such visa is only allowed to go to China and back once and stay in China for 180 days at most. Therefore, if you will study in China for more than 180 days, you need to apply for X1 visa (residence permit); if less than 180 days, you need to apply for X2 visa.


The materials for visa application usually include:

  • One original and one photocopy of passport (Please make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months and has blank visa pages.)
  • One original and one photocopy of Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (JW 201 or JW 202)
  • One original and one photocopy of Admission Notice issued by the Chinese college/university


For more details, please visit the following website:

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China:

China Consular Service:

*An international student must hold a Study Visa (X visa). If a Tourist visa ( L Visa) holder wants to convert it to study visa after he/she enters the country, he/she may be required to re-enter after leaving China. Therefore, this practice is not recommended.


  1. Read Admission Notice carefully and contact your school timely

Admission Notice usually contains admission information such as major, duration of studies and language used in teaching, and registration information such as time, place and materials needed for freshman registration.

*Freshmen are encouraged to confirm their accommodation arrangement with the school in advance, so as to avoid the situation of being unable to stay in the dorm due to room shortage. The usual ways to contact school are email and telephone.



  1. Items you may need during your stay in China

1)   Electronic devices: laptop and accessories, power adaptor, AC adaptor, portable charger, etc. (The standard voltage in China is 220V. The picture below shows the standard power socket in China. Please bring your own voltage conversion devices.)

2)   Bedding: bed sheet, duvet cover, pillowcase, duvet, mattress, etc.

3)   Toiletries: lippers, bath towel, towel, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.

4)   Clothing: China has a vast territory; thus there are great climate differences in different areas and it is difficult to provide tips for what clothes to wear. Please prepare your clothes according to the geographic location of your school.

5)   Common drugs: drugs for respiratory and digestive diseases, painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs, mosquito repellent, moisturizer and so on.

6)   It is advisable to bring some cash (RMB) with you to pay the basic expenses for transport from airport to school and daily necessities.

* We suggest that items such as electronic devices and daily necessities be purchased on campus or nearby shopping malls.


In addition, according to the regulations of the Chinese government, opium, morphine, heroin, marijuana and other addictive narcotic drugs and psychotropic drugs, as well as all kinds of weapons, simulated weapons, controlled knives, ammunition and explosives are all prohibited from being brought into China.


  1. Others

1) Chinese currency

The legal currency of China is RMB (¥). Its basic unit is yuan, which can be subdivided into jiao and fen: 1 yuan = 10 jiao, 1 jiao = 10 fen. Currently, the banknotes in use include 1 jiao, 5 jiao, 1 yuan, 5 yuan, 10 yuan, 20 yuan, 50 yuan, 100 yuan, and the coins in circulation include 1 jiao, 5 jiao and 1 yuan.



2) Convertible currencies & place for conversion

The following foreign currencies are convertible to RMB: GBP, USD, EUR, JPY, KRW, CAD, AUD, CHF, SGD, SEK, NOK, DKK, PHP and THB. For other currencies, you can first convert them into USD in your own country and then convert USD into RMB after entering China. For more information, please visit the official website of Bank of China:


3) Allergen memo and anti-allergy drugs

Usually, allergy information is not marked on food packaging in China, so please be careful. It’s better for you to keep your allergy memo and prepare the relevant drugs.


4) Common language – Chinese

China uses Chinese (mandarin) as its common language, but it has a few local dialects in minority ethnic regions. To avoid communication difficulties, we recommend that you have the following contact information written in Chinese beforehand: your liaison person in China, school administrator, destination, etc.