Introduction to Capital Medical University in China, Beijing
Capital Medical University (CMU) formerly known as Beijing second medical college was founded in 1960. It ranks among the top academic medical institutions in China and is one of the key municipal universities in Beijing.
Professor Wu Jieping, the founding president of the university, was a world famous urologist as well as a member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences and the Chinese Academy of Engineering. Today, six members of teaching staff are members of these prestigious academies, enhancing the university’s domestic reputation further.
CCMU consists of 10 Schools, 14 affiliated hospitals and 1 teaching institution. The university has over 9,000 enrolled students. CMU provides a wide range of educational programs in English language for Doctorates, Masters, Bachelors and certificates.
CMU is a well-known academic institution for its strong capacity in scientific research. It hosts many key national and municipal disciplines, laboratories and exchange stations for post-doctoral research.
High-caliber national and municipal research and training centers and institutes are founded here, covering a wide range of fields including General Practitioner Training, Clinical Medicine, Basic Medicine, Neurosciences, Ophthalmology, Geriatrics, Urology, Cardiology, Pain Medicine, Toxicology, Biomedical Engineering, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Reproduction, Health Policy, etc.
University has achieved national and international recognitions in many areas such as Neurobiology, Cytobiology, Immunology, Medical Iconography, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Cardiology, Cardiac-vascular Surgery, Kidney Transplantation, Respiratory Disease, Digestive Medicine, Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology and Pediatric Hematology, among others.
Studying in Beijing
Beijing is home to a great number of colleges and universities, including several well-regarded universities of international stature.
Many international students from Japan, Korea, North America, Europe, Southeast Asia, and elsewhere come to Beijing to study every year. Living in Beijing, part of your daily commute to class might involve seeing some of the opulent palaces, pagodas, temples, iconic landmarks, tombs and gardens.
Beijing is certainly not a destination for those looking for a ‘small-town’ feel. But if you like the idea of studying in a city with strong international career opportunities, while keeping a finger to the pulse of one of the world’s fastest-developing countries, then this dynamic metropolis at the center of the world’s most populous nation could be for you.
CMU is made up of six campuses located throughout the capital. The Main Campus and the CCMU International Campus both are located in Fengtai District, whiles Shunyi Campus in Shunyi District, Wanshoulu Campus in Haidian District, Hepingli Campus in Dongcheng District, and Dongsishitiao Campus in Dongcheng District.
International students study and live mainly on the CCMU International Campus.
University campuses are within easy reach by public transportation and it consists of Library, International and Local Restaurants, Student Dining Hall, Tennis Courts, Soccer Fields, Gymnasium, Indoor Basketball Courts, Outdoor Basketball Courts and Indoor Swimming Pool
• Xuan Wu Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University First Clinical School): Founded in 1959, it is one of the largest general hospitals in Beijing specialized in neurology and geriatrics, and is experienced in clinical practice, medical education and research, disease prevention and health care etc.
• Beijing Friendship Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Second Clinical School): Founded in 1953, it is one of the largest general hospitals in Beijing, majoring in digestive, chronic hepatic diseases, and tropical diseases etc., and the hospital is medically advanced in anti-infection and organic transplantation.
• Beijing Chao Yang Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Third Clinical School): Founded in 1958, it is one of the largest general hospitals in Beijing but is advanced in nine medical fields, including respiratory, cardiology, hyperbaric oxygen disease and so on.
• Beijing Tong Ren Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Forth Clinical School): Founded in 1886, it is one of the large general hospitals in Beijing, specialized in ophthalmology, otolaryngology and cardiovascular disease.
• Beijing Tian Tan Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Fifth Clinical School): Founded in 1956, it is one of the large general hospitals in Beijing, specialized in neurosurgery and medical imaging. It is the largest neurosurgery center in Asia.
• Beijing An Zhen Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Sixth Clinical School): Founded in 1984, it is one of the large general hospitals in Beijing, highly experienced and skillful in cardiopulmonary vascular diseases, ICU, CCU etc. It is a surgery center famous for heart and lung diseases and transplantations.
• Fu Xing Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Eighth Clinical School): Founded in 1950, it is one of the general hospitals in Beijing, advanced in uteroscopy and women’s health care. It is highly experienced in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and community medical services.
• Beijing You An Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University Ninth Clinical School): Founded in 1956, it is one of the largest specialized hospitals in Beijing, famous for the treatment and control of infectious diseases, hepatitis, AIDS and liver transplantation.
• Beijing Children’s Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Pediatrics): Founded in 1942, it is the largest comprehensive children’s hospital in China, as well as the national paediatrics base, paediatric disease prevention, and a treatment center with the collaboration of WHO and UN Children Found.
• Beijing Stomatological Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Stomatology): Founded in 1945, it is one of the largest specialized stomatological hospitals in China, highly skilled in stomatological treatment and prevention, and contains a comprehensive stomatological clinical medical school.
• Beijing An Ding Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Mental Health): Founded in 1914, it is one of the largest specialized hospitals in China for the treatment of psychiatric and psychological patients. It serves as the National Psychiatrist Training Center for the Ministry of Health.
• Beijing Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Obstetrics and Gynecology): Founded in 1959, it is the largest specialized obstetrics and gynecology hospital in Beijing, advanced in perinatology and women’s reproduction health, and also serves as WHO research and training center for women’s health in China.
• Beijing Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital, Capital Medical University (Capital Medical University School of Clinical Traditional Chinese Medicine): Founded in 1958, it is one of the largest traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) hospitals in Beijing, undertaking the tasks of training medical students in clinical practice, medical education and research in the field of TCM.
• China Rehabilitation Research Center (Capital Medical University School of Rehabilitation Medicine): It’s the largest rehabilitation center in China, undertaking the tasks of treatment, research, education in the field of rehabilitation.
• The Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) is the center for preventive medicine education and research affiliated with the School of Public Health and Family Medicine of CMU. It undertakes the task of public health control during severe epidemic outbreaks.
Capital Medical University provides in-campus hostel to the international students, the hostel executes Hotel Style Management. All the students are requested to live on campus. Housing is close to Chinese, Japanese and Korean restaurants, cafés, convenience stores, book shops, and on-campus gymnasium with an indoor swimming pool. Within the apartment buildings there are also multi-functional conference rooms available for residents’ entertainment.
Each room is normally shared by two students and is equipped with:
• Separate toilet
• Separate bathroom
• High-speed internet access
• Air conditioner
• TV & Telephone
• Bed linen
Life on campus is very convenient and safe. Most Chinese students will choose to live in the dormitories on campus because of its reasonable prices, complete facilities and safe surroundings.
Capital Medical University provide international students dormitories for foreign students. Usually there are double-room and three-room dormitories.
Accommodation Type and Price
1. The fee should be paid within two weeks after the arrival of student at the University.
2. From 2nd year and onwards students have to pay according the rules and regulations of the university.
3. The fee can be paid in cash, by draft or can be sent directly to the University account.
4. If students decide to transfer or withdraw, the paid fees will not be returned or transferred.
5. All the fees above are paid in RMB (unless specified otherwise).
6. For Pre-Medical and Language programs the fee will be informed with the admission letter.
7. Fee cannot be given or transferred to any individual or company. It should only be paid directly to the university.
Living in University
The Dining Hall serves both Chinese and Western dishes according to demands, and will meet diverse requirements of staff and students as far as possible.
A Dining Hall Committee consisting of student and staff representatives will be formed to monitor the food quality and the services provided, with particular emphasis on hygiene and food safety. Satisfaction surveys will be conducted from time to time and on a regular basis.
A Convenience Store is operated on campus to provide daily necessities including food, beverages, bread, snacks, personal care products and stationery, ect.
At CMU, everyone can enjoy sports or exercise as a part of their student life. There are sufficient sports facilities that are all free for our students to use, like a huge indoor basketball court and outdoor stadium with running track.
PROGRAMS OFFERED AT CAPITAL MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
Bachelor’s in MBBS
Introduction to the Program
The Bachelor’s in MBBS at Medical Capital University is a six year program for international students taught in English.
1. Completed Application Form (can be downloaded) http://winweb.ccmu.edu.cn/guojixueyuan/xz.asp
2. Letter of guarantee by a Chinese sponsor (Chinese citizen) with evidence of the sponsor’s identity.
3. Copies of the latest schooling certificate and transcripts.
4. Copies of passport.
5. TOFEL, IELTS certificate (None native speaker).
6. Physical Examination Record and blood test reports (add the HbeAg).
7. None Criminal Certificate provided by local Police Station.
8. Economic Status Certificate and Letter of Commitment to pay tuition fee on time.
9. Registration fee: The Registration fee of application will not be returned or transferred.
January — September 30
Advanced Mathematics, Medical Physics, Computer Science, Anatomy, Embryology& Histology, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Immunology, Parasitology, Statistics, Medical Laboratorial Technology, Medical Psychology, Diagnostics, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Neurology, Psychiatry, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Dentistry, Dermatology, Infectious Diseases, Epidemiology, Prevention Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Chinese.